Travelers and Overseas Residents – Register & Get Absentee Ballot to Vote in 2017

Message from the United States Embassy in Mexico City 

Still traveling or living overseas?  Even though you voted in November 2016, you should register and request your absentee ballot to vote again in 2017 to ensure your election office knows where to send your ballot for any upcoming special elections for federal office. Some states are also holding gubernatorial or other statewide elections this year.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) recommends all overseas U.S. citizens send in a completed Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) early every year. The FPCA is the registration and ballot request form accepted by all states and territories.

You can use the FPCA online assistant, complete the PDF version, or pick up a hardcopy version from your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be sure your contact information is accurate in case your election office needs to reach you.

If you’d like more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program or need help with the absentee voting process please go to or call FVAP at 703-588-1584 (toll-free 1-800-438-VOTE or DSN 425-1584) or email

Toll-free phone numbers from 67 countries are listed at Find FVAP on Facebook at and follow @FVAP on Twitter.

For further information:

  • See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Contact the US. Embassy in Mexico City, which is located at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtémoc, 06500. Mexico, D.F. and is open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • You may also call 55-5080-2000 at any time, press “0”, and ask the switchboard operator to connect you to the duty officer. If you are calling from the United States, call 011-52-55-5080-2000.
  • Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the US Embassy Mexico City website.
  • Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

This is a public service announcement from

Related Articles:

US Travelers Encouraged to Register with Embassy in Mexico City –More Local Contacts Needed



Comments are closed.