The Green Revolution Brings Organic Foods to Guerrero, Mexico! Organic food has become quite popular lately. But, what is it exactly? The term “organic” refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed.
Organic crops are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers. Just the description makes “non-organic foods” seem yucky!
Organic livestock raised for meat, eggs, and dairy products must have access to the outdoors and be given organic feed. They may not be given antibiotics, growth hormones, or any animal by-products.
The way that your food is grown or raised can have a major impact on your mental and emotional health. Organic foods often have more beneficial nutrients, such as antioxidants, than their conventionally-grown counterparts and people with allergies to foods, chemicals, or preservatives often find their symptoms lessen or go away when they eat only organic foods.
Organic foods and livestock are more beneficial to your health.
- Organic produce contains fewer pesticides.
- Organic food is often fresher because it doesn’t contain preservatives that make it last longer.
- Organic produce is often produced on smaller farms near where it is sold.
- Organic farming is better for the environment.
- Organically raised animals are NOT given antibiotics, growth hormones, or fed animal byproducts. Feeding livestock animal byproducts increase the risk of mad cow disease (BSE) and the use of antibiotics can create antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
- Organically-raised animals are given more space to move around and access to the outdoors, which help to keep them healthy.
- Organic meat and milk are richer in certain nutrients.
- Organic food is GMO-free.
The GREEN REVOLUTION PROJECT
In Guerrero, Mexico, local businesses and farmers have joined together to raise and sell organic foods to the local residents of Troncones Beach and other nearby beach communities. These products are on sale every Thursday from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., at the Organic Market at Tres Mujeres Hotel in Troncones.
It is interesting to see the entire process of growing organic foods. Watch this video:
Organics to Table Blog, Organic Foods: What You Need to Know about Eating Organic, March 19, 2017, https://organicstotable.com/2017/03/19/organic-foods-what-you-need-to-know-about-eating-organic/