We’re winding up our rainy season during the month of October. The tropical summer rains refresh the vegetation and wildlife. Just breathing the fresh air is a thrill! It’s a time when many artists paint, writers write, and people focus on self-reflection. Join in the activities for this month.
Local Events (See International Observance below)
Saturday, October 1, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., ECO TIANGUIS SANKA ORGANIC MARKET: Join us tomorrow for their 3rd anniversary and every Saturday morning for this fun-filled event. Everything is organic. There’s food, fun, music, art, and more.
- +37 KM / 742 MTS+ (Start: 6:00 a.m.)
- +27 KM / 629 MTS+ (Start: 7:00 a.m.)
- +16 KM / 491 MTS+ (Start: 8:00 a.m.)
For information about participating in the competition, go to: www.xtrailmexico.com. It will be a great time for participants and observers!
Wednesday, October 12, DIA DE LA RAZA (DAY OF THE RACES): For many people in the “New World” this date is recognized as “Columbus Day” to celebrate the “discovery” of the Americas. But, for decedents the indigenous people who already inhabited the lands, and for the millions of Africans who were transported during the colonial slave trade, this date has a different meaning. In Mexico, and in other parts of Latin America, people celebrate Día de La Raza (Day of the Races) in recognition of the contributions of ALL the people in the Americas. See: It’s Time to End the Myth of Columbus And Teach Our Kids the Truth About History
Saturday, October 15, Starting at 8:00 a.m., REGATA RIO SAN JERONIMITO (RIVER RACE!) in Petatlán: What a fun event! People come from all over the area to race down the river in rafts, inner tubes, and anything else! Then, there’s a PARTY! For updates: https://www.facebook.com/regatario.sanjeronimito
The City of Petatlán is located about 45 minutes south of Zihuatanejo on Interstate Highway 200. Our technical university, Universidad Technologica de la Costa Grande de Guerrero (UTCGG) is located there. It is also the site of a pre-Hispanic pyramid.
Here is a video of a past event so that you can see how much fun everyone has!!!
Saturday, October 15, 7:00 p.m., FASHION ROCK on El Palmar Beach in Ixtapa: Let’s ROCK! This event will include a fashion show with national designers, Pop singers, beach, sunset, and fun! We’ll rock on the Ixtapa beach, in front of Hotel Pasada Real (next to the Dolphinarium). ENTRANCE IS FREE!
- 1 October: International Day of Older Persons
- 2 October: International Day of Non-Violence
- 3 October (first Monday in October): World Habitat Day
- 5 October: World Teachers’ Day
- 9 October: World Post Day
- 10 October: World Mental Health Day
- 11 October: International Day of the Girl Child
- 13 October: International Day for Disaster Reduction
- 15 October: International Day of Rural Women
- 16 October: World Food Day
- 17 October: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- 20 October: World Statistics Day
Monday, October 24, UNITED NATIONS DAY: United Nations Day marks the anniversary date of the UN Charter, which went into effect in 1945. With the ratification of this founding document by the majority of its signatories, including the five permanent members of the Security Council, the United Nations officially came into being. This date has been celebrated as United Nations Day since 1948. In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly recommended that the day be observed by Member States as a public holiday.
- 24 October: World Development Information Day
- 27 October: World Day for Audiovisual Heritage
- 31 October: World Cities Day
For more information about Ixtapa Zihuatanejo and the surrounding areas, see: