In reality, few cooks in other countries will be able to obtain all of the ingredients for Tamales or go through the traditionally long process of making them.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups diced poblano peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chipotle pepper
- 2 (8.5 ounce) boxes dry corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy®)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk, divided
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 8 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook and stir ground beef in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until meat starts to brown and release juices, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in poblano peppers, salt, salsa, oregano, and chipotle powder; cook and stir until seasoned beef is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Mix one package of corn muffin mix in a large bowl with 1 egg and 1/3 cup of milk. Whisk to combine. In a separate large bowl, mix the second package of corn muffin mix with 1 egg, 1/3 cup of milk and half the Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
- Spread the prepared corn muffin mixture without cheese into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle corn over the muffin mix, followed by remaining half of the cheeses, then the beef mixture.
- Spoon the corn muffin mix with cheese on top of the beef and carefully spread over the top with a fork, leaving about half an inch from the edges of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown.
To see a video on the preparation, visit: Video: How to Make Tamale Pie – Allrecipes.com