Hector Astudillo, the newly-elected Governor of Guerrero, Mexico, made an official proclamation last month to support and sustain the peace-building efforts of the Ixtapa Zihuatanejo community. Zihuatanejo’s Mayor Gustavo García Bello will host the community’s 6th Annual Celebration of Peace will be on February 28, 2016. Everyone is invited to attend.
Ixtapa Zihuatanejo initiated its peace program in 2010. Founding members of its Peace Committee developed and implemented a “Peace Certification Program” to sustain the movement. The Ixtapa Zihuatanejo Peace Committee is now led by First Lady Maricruz Galeana Leyva, Honorary President; Professor Wendy Carbajal Sotelo, General Director; and Armando Federico, a representative from the State Tourism Office who serves as Commissioner of Peace & Tourism.
In 2015, Ixtapa Zihuatanejo became the first city in the world to be “certified” under this (optional) peace-building plan by the International Cities of Peace Organization. The requirements for peace certification are:
- The city must form a Peace Committee (municipal representatives, educators, civic organizations, and local volunteers) to develop and implement an annual peace plan.
- Government officials and community members must attend an annual Peace Education Seminar.
- The community must construct a Peace Monument in a highly-visible area.
- The community must implement an on-going, Peace Education program for its youth.
- The community must celebrate the International Day of Peace on Sept. 21st every year. (Zihuatanejo conducts its main peace event in February due to better weather.)
- Municipal government must make a proclamation to maintain the peace certification program.
BOTH the GOVERNOR OF GUERRERO and the MAYOR OF ZIHUATANEJO made this historic Proclamation for Peace!
From the Office of the Governor of the State of Guerrero
January 2, 2016
WHEREAS: Peace is not merely the absence of war and violence, but a condition where society has achieved a balance of prosperity, security, justice and hope; and,
WHEREAS: Peace is necessary for everyone to achieve health as defined by the World Health Organization; and,
WHEREAS: The UN World Tourism Organization promotes tourism as a driver of economic growth, inclusive development, and environmental sustainability; and,
WHEREAS: Mexico has established a national code of conduct for the protection of girls, boys and adolescents in the tourism sector, and Zihuatanejo has established a committee to enforce this code; and,
WHEREAS the community leaders of Ixtapa Zihuatanejo are committed to establishing peace in the region to promote economic opportunity and improve the quality of life of the people of our region; and
WHEREAS: In 2010, the municipality of Zihuatanejo initiated a peace program including the establishment of a Peace Committee; the construction of a peace pole monument in Olof Palme Peace Park; annual commemoration of the International Day of Peace on September 21; development of an annual peace plan including a peace education program; development of diversity programs; and the destination hosts an annual tourism event to promote peace; and,
WHEREAS: The community of Ixtapa Zihuatanejo has reported its activities and met the requirements for certification as a City of Peace with the International Cities of Peace Organization; and,
WHEREAS: The official recognition of Zihuatanejo as an International City of Peace will provide inspiration, information and support for youth and adults to pursue creative approaches to non-violence and peace, therefore be it
RESOLVED that the State of Guerrero and the Municipality of Zihuatanejo de Azueta, including the tourist destination of Ixtapa Zihuatanejo, proclaims to be an International City of Peace in perpetuity, and be it further
RESOLVED that the Municipality of Zihuatanejo de Azueta designates 21 September of each year to be commemorated as the International Day of Peace in perpetuity, and be it further
RESOLVED that the Municipality will continue to develop peace education programs that focus on diversity and inclusion of all people, and
RESOLVED that the State of Guerrero and the Municipality of Zihuatanejo de Azueta will develop policies and procedures that promote establishing peace in our region in perpetuity.
EVERYONE is invited to the Celebration of Peace in Ixtapa Zihuatanejo on February 28, 2016!
- 11: 00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., PEACE SEMINIAR. Location: Sunscape Dorado Hotel in Ixtapa. Casual attire. The guest speaker will be Dr. Fredrick Pearson, Director of the Peace & Non Conflict Center at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, USA. Admission is FREE.
- 5:00 p.m., PEACE MONUMENT CEREMONY & PEACE WALK. WEAR WHITE!
- 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., OFFICIAL PEACE CERTIFICATION CEREMONY at the municipal basketball court in Zihuatanejo.
This will be a spectacular event. Don’t miss it! Take a look at last year’s Celebration.
Please note: This TV video incorrectly claims certification by the United Nations. The certification was by the International Cities of Peace Organization.
May Peace Prevail on Earth!
May Peace Prevail in Guerrero!
May Peace Prevail in Ixtapa Zihuatanejo!
May Peace Prevail in your homes and in your hearts!
For more information about the Ixtapa Zihuatanejo area, see: